Sewing Room Dropcam

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Center Medallion for the Patriotic Quilt

Been working on this for a couple of weeks, still have 6 flowers to do. This is appliqued by hand so it takes awhile. I found a tote bag to put my supplies in so that I can take it to work with me and work on it at lunch. I get tired of doing the same thing for too long of a time so I did the 4 flag blocks for the corners of the quilt and I got one of the houses done.

Another little quickie

I've had a Charming Jelly Cake of the Aviary collection for awhile and couldn't decide what to do with it. I finally found a pattern that uses that combination of cuts and it was simple and quick so... This is my first time trying fusible applique. It's alright for small things like this but I don't really like the "stuck on" look so I wouldn't use it on something more elaborate. I changed the flower that was on the pattern to one from a Piece O' Cake pattern. I will probably give this to my granddaughter and maybe I can try machine quilting on this one too.

I don't know why there is a dark pink patch in it, you never notice these things until you see it in a picture. I have other patches of the lighter ones so it's not like I ran out. I have 2 sides of the dark pink done for a small border around this and then start using the light pieces of the layer cake cut in half for the next round.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Jelly Roll Quilt part 2

Since I had two jelly rolls of Nature's of Chorus I did another quilt from the Jelly Roll Quilts book. This one is even more simple than the first and took about 3 days to make. I really love using the jelly rolls as it cuts out a lot of cutting.

I also made pillows to go with the second quilt.

I sewed two jelly roll strips together to make the continuous prairie points. I've never done it before and I didn't know until I looked it up later that when doing the continuous points that they are nestled into each other instead of two seperate rows like I did.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Revised Patriotic Quilt

I've been going over and over the design for this quilt. I didn't quite like the teddy bear as the center block and I've kind of decided on this one.

I am waiting for a different background fabric that I ordered. I didn't quite like the wavy beige when I saw it in person. I can use it for the back if I piece it with other fabrics from the quilt.

It's Spring

After all the dark colored quilts I've been working on I wanted something light and bright. I had two jelly rolls of Nature's Chorus and one Moda Sugar that I was going to do a log cabin with. I decided to use them in something else and made a quick and easy quilt from the book Jelly Roll Quilts.

This took less than a week to make and it was easy! Sometimes I want a quick project to get something done while working on more involved ones. After completing the top I used what was left of the JR strips and some of the border fabric to make a pillow top. I still need to get the pillow form for it and I was pleasantly surprised that not having planned how big it was going to be that it is exactly right for one of the standard form sizes like the ones in my guest bedroom.