Sewing Room Dropcam

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Figured this up while watching TV

That's what I call multi-tasking.  I'm pretty sure I got the numbers correct since it comes up with the same number of blocks both ways.  There are twenty-five 4" blocks across and down so that's 625 and adding up all of the different 4" blocks comes up to 625.  The quilt size is 100"x100".  With 3 blocks x 4 blocks it would be 76"x100.

The parts are all very simple, straight seams. 
This really doesn't look hard at all other than having so many small pieces.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

What is this quilt pattern?

I saw am Amish quilt today called Faceted Jewels and I really like it.  I did some searching online and it came up with lots of quilts with that name but it wasn't this pattern.  The Amish one was done all in different colored scraps and whites but I've wanted to do a red and white quilt and I think this will look great in that combination.

I did this in EQ7 using 4" blocks.  The parts are very simple and a lot of it could be done with jelly roll strips.  Just the two types of triangle blocks have sharp angles.

I think it would go together with blocks like this and pieced sashing strips.

I saw a quilt in a magazine that had these types of colors and it looked old fashioned and cozy and I was fortunate to find these jelly rolls and ordered them.

I'm sure I'll get to it SOMEDAY. :-)  There is a nice looking quilt in the October issue of American Patchwork & Quilting that uses 140 jelly roll strips in all different colors and I thought what a great way to use up those odd leftover strips from other projects.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Working on the final round

This is the final round on the quilt that I posted last time.  All the parts are ready to sew together after I spent some time this evening figuring up that I had enough 3-square sections to do the four sides.  I'm working on all 4 sides at once so that I can run them through the machine, chain piecing a section on each one, pin the next sections on all 4, then run them through again.

When I was cutting all the sections I put aside 4 of each, one for each side, and put all the rest into another pile.  I seperated those out into 4 piles and laid them out in rows.  Because I started out with different lengths of batik there were sometimes 5 of each combination.

I hope she likes it.  I was just so stuck on what to do with this round until I realized that I had all the colors that are in one of the other fabrics.  The piecing looks very like the multi-color fabric in the corner square and small strip.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Blog design fixed

I came to my blog one day and the whole design was messed UP!  None of the graphics were showing up, a bunch of errors, etc.  So, I took of all of the extra settings, the design template, and just set it to a standard template.  When I get around to it I will try to find another design that I like.

Ok, so I know that I haven't felt like doing much of ANYTHING for awhile.  I stopped eating meat about a month ago since that it what seems to make me feel worse.  I feel pretty good now but I also feel so guilty.  I have the last quilt here for the International Round Robin and I just couldn't make myself work on anything.  I had no inspiration about what to do with it, absolutely none.  It's been laying on my ironing board so it is out and visible and today while looking at it I had an idea.

It's got an overall Christmas design with snowflakes but it's kind of different.  The snowflakes are embroidered and have funny faces on them.  Then there are more traditional looking penguins, snowmen, and polarbears.  It has all these bright colors in the center, then it gets muted with very pale blues and whites.  I have a collection of fabric called Twilight Frost that is shades of blues/whites/greys that I thought I would use but it just looked so dull and uninteresting.

What finally inspired me is one of the solid borders around the blue/white snowflake row (can't see those well in the picture).  The fabric is tiny squares of bright colors and I think it looks great with all the other colors in the quilt.  The last fabric before my row is multi-colored bright snowflakes on black. Then I saw that in some of the center squares of the green and white blocks, there is a fabric that is almost just like it. I got out my batiks and started choosing colors that match that fabric.

It's a plain design but I like it.  It's not so busy to compete with the center snowflakes and penguins but, it's not so totally plain that it just fades away like everything else I thought of with the Twilight fabric.  It's bold enough to frame it as the last row but not too much.  In my opinion, anyway :)

The fabric is in the washer so I can get started on it tomorrow.  I'll cut the fat quarters into 2.5" strips, sew three random strips together, then cut them into 2.5" sections.  I don't need to fuss with measurements since I can add a row of squares or shorten some seam allowances to make the borders the correct length.