Saturday, June 26, 2010
Colors, points, piecing - all lovely.
Quilting is awesome A+
Borders are beautiful!
Exquisite - nice use of print for framing.
Back is as beautiful as the front.
Lays nicely - tight binding - good job.
Speaking of washing the backing, I was concerned about washing this one. It's bright red with bright white apples and I was afraid that the apples would turn pink. I read about color catchers but never used them so I found some at the store and tried it. Wow, it did a great job! The only thing that turned pink was the two color catchers.
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Saturday, June 19, 2010
I got all of the blocks done for the latest IRR round a couple of days ago. I had briefly measured the quilt so far to get an idea of the size but when I measured more closely I found that across the center of the quilt it measured 54 1/4 and along the edges it measured as much as 55 3/4". Today I layed it out and squared it up to 54 1/4"... as best as I could. I'll probably need to do some trimming of the corners since it doesn't look like it's going to shrink up very well. Will wait and see.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Entries have to be received by July 25th so that's not much time at all. I am very seriously thinking about getting my eldest daughter's quilt done, which I planned on doing next, so that I can enter it. It's a simple and fun quilt with all the same blocks so maybe I could do it to my satisfaction, and good enough that I would want to enter it.
Got any ideas or tips about the quilting design? Something simple, like outlining the baskets and then an all-over fill or stipple in the white area? A simple design in the sashing and border?
Sunday, June 6, 2010
I'm finally back to working on this and made some good progress yesterday. All of the 9-patch centers and the corner sections are done. I used 48 different fabrics for those parts, two of each, and seperated the sections into two sets. I layed out the first set and played with the pairings for the blocks. I'm pretty satisfied with this except for a couple that stand out as being too close in color or value that I need to change. The second completed block came out a lot better than the first after adjusting the seam allowance, it doesn't need to be trimmed, stretched, or squared up.
I got 12 different fabrics ready for the triangle sections and cut two strips of each, that will make 24 blocks. I hadn't decided at the time whether I was going to use ANOTHER 12 fabrics for the rest of the blocks but I believe I will. Might as well stay consistent with two blocks of each fabric.
Half of the triangle sections have been sewn and ready to cut apart and press. It would be great to get all of them done today so I can start doing an assembly line on the blocks and knock those out.