Sewing Room Dropcam

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Work in progress on the vintage quilt

I worked a couple of evenings last week and many hours yesterday getting the parts ready for the Birds In The Air blocks.  How I like to work is to break a quilt down into distinct parts and get all of that part done before moving on to the next.  I make less mistakes that way since I'm not going back and forth between types of blocks and it goes faster for me.  I went through each fabric and cut all the pieces needed for the blocks.  I then sewed all of the green/white, green/blue and red/white sections.  I'm almost done with trimming the red/white to 2 1/2" and then I'll sew the blocks together.  I still need to cut most of the 2 1/2" white squares.

I did these first because it's the smallest block at 6" and it will take the most time to do 36 of them.  I know that once I get the most time consuming part of it done that the rest of it, which is 8 Jacob's Ladder blocks, will be a cinch to do.  Just my experience that if the hardest or longest part is left to the last it is more likely that it's going to be left sitting for awhile until I get the will to tackle it.

When I was working on the Starred and Feathered quilt I got to the point where I couldn't face doing any more 6" stars so I took a break from those and worked on the log cabin blocks around the edge.  That was quite a job in itself, 52 little 6" log cabins.  I am very glad I did that because when I got the rest of the body sewn together I didn't know if I could have continued on and done the log cabins.  I might have settled for a simpler border which would have been a shame after all the other hard work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment